TOKYO, December 17, 2013- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) announced today that it has developed a laser diode-transmitter optical subassembly (TOSA) that enables 100Gbps optical transmission in one fiber using four-channel wavelength-division multiplexing, which will help to downsize 100Gbps communication facilities and expand high-speed 100Gbps optical transmission networks. Shipments will begin on April 1, 2014.
The FU-401REA TOSA features four electro-absorption modulators with laser diode (EML) and an optical multiplexer integrated in one compact package. This is one of the world's lowest power and most compact EML-TOSA solutions for IEEE 100GBASE-LR4 applications.
The FU-401REA will be exhibited at the Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition 2014 (OFC) in San Francisco, California from March 11 to 13, 2014.
As 10Gbps optical network interfaces give way to 40Gbps and 100Gbps interfaces, installations in confined spaces are requiring the use of smaller and lower-power equipment. Needs for downsized, low-power EML-TOSAs led to the development of Mitsubishi Electric's FU-401REA TOSA, which will help meet the demands for smaller equipment and thereby expand the market for 100Gbps EML-TOSAs.
1) 100Gbps in one fiber by wavelength division multiplexing (WDM)
- WDM solution using four wavelengths, each 25Gbps, for a 100Gbps optical signal in one fiber.
- Compliant with IEEE 100GBASE-LR4.
2) Miniaturized optical transceivers
- 75%-reduced footprint compared to existing FU-412REA model by integrating four individual TOSAs into one.
- Package size complies with common specifications for small CFP2 optical-transceiver modules.
- Contributes to improved transceiver module efficiency by adopting flexible printed wiring board featuring easy mounting.
3) Lower-power optical transceivers
- New EML chip can operate at up to 15 degrees Celsius higher than existing FU-412REA.
- Cooling power reduced by 50% to help lower the operating power of optical-transceiver modules.
Wavelength: 1.3-micrometer band, four-channel LAN-WDM
Maximum transmission distance:10km
Output power: -2 to + 2dBm
Operating power: 2W maximum
Size:8.8mm x 26.5mm x 5.6mm